Medication abortion (also called the abortion pill, Mifeprex™) is FDA approved for up to 70 days (10 weeks pregnant) after the start of your last menstrual period. The typical cost for the abortion pill near San Bernardino County is $500-$700.
- It’s called RU-486 and was approved by the FDA in 2000; it is also called a medical or chemical abortion.
- The “pill” is actually a protocol that involves taking two drugs, mifepristone and misoprostol, which are taken on two different days.
- Because of complications, the FDA has special safety instructions and monitors distribution carefully.1
- The FDA strongly cautions against the use of mifepristone obtained over the Internet.2
- The abortion pill is not the same as the emergency contraception (The Morning After Pill or Plan B One Step).
What if I change my mind? The first drug in the protocol is called mifepristone. Miferistone blocks progesterone, which is needed to sustain a growing pregnancy. A new protocol, known as the Abortion Pill Reversal, has been developed that uses natural progesterone to reverse the abortion and rescue the pregnancy. Recent studies have shown a success rate above 60% if the progesterone is started within 72 hours of taking the first abortion pill. It may not be too late, for more information visit THEABORTIONPILLREVERSAL or call 877-558-0333.
Information taken from U.S. Food and Drug Administration (2016). “Mifeprex Medication Guide.” U.S. Department of Health. Retrieved from https://www.fda.gov/drugs/postmarket-drug-safety-information-patients-and-providers/mifeprex-mifepristone-information
2. Viability is generally considered about 24 weeks from a woman’s LMP. See https://www.guttmacher.org/state-policy/explore/overview-abortion-laws
PREGNANCY CONFIRMATION CRESTLINE, CA
To help you confirm your pregnancy, we offer free pregnancy testing in Crestline, California. A positive pregnancy test (including those taken at home) suggests a high probability that you're pregnant. However, the result should be confirmed. If your test is positive, our staff will determine next steps, such as an ultrasound exam.
Why is it a good idea to get a free ultrasound if I'm considering abortion?
- PREGNANCY VERIFICATION: Pregnancy tests are not always conclusive. Pregnancy tests respond to a hormone released by a pregnant woman’s body called HCG. Although your HCG levels may be elevated, your pregnancy might not be viable, as about 10-20% of all pregnancies end in natural miscarriage.3Ultrasound is the most reliable method of detecting pregnancy viability.
- FIND OUT GESTATIONAL AGE: If you’re considering an abortion, the type and cost of the procedure you will be eligible to receive is dependent on the gestational age of your pregnancy. An ultrasound exam will provide this information. We provide free pregnancy testing and ultrasound to confirm and date pregnancy. Eligibility required.
This information is critical regardless of what options you may be considering. Speak with our staff today. Schedule a confidential APPOINTMENT – at no cost to you.
NO COST. NO INSURANCE.
The content on this page has been reviewed and approved by our Medical Director.